Configure for imapd 2.1.9 doesn't necessarily pick up the version of BerkeleyDB specified with --with-dbdir= switch

Gordon Marler gmarler at gmarler.com
Tue Oct 15 11:06:57 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 10:42, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2002, Gordon Marler wrote:
>
> > Since I'm not set up for GSSAPI yet, I used --disable-gssapi, and it
> > works fine.  Many thanks!
> >
> > It isn't intuitive that the two would be related, is it?
>
> It is, since your configure.log was complaining about GSSAPI libraries
> that were missing.  It's a bit more disturbing that it thought you had
> them, but I'll look into that I guess.
>
> -Rob
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
> Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper

What's even more disturbing (note the subject change above for the
benefit of the list) is the fact that if you specify
--with-dbdir=<my preferred DB version>
to configure, it won't necessarily pick that up.  Allow me to elaborate:

I have every version of Sleepycat Berkeley DB installed since v2.7.7.
However, I use one of them more than the others, so my PATH is set to go
through that version's /bin directory (version 4.x.x)

I notice that if I specify the --with-dbdir=<DB version 3.x.x> switch to
configure, configure runs programs in *my PATH* (DB version 4.x.x) to
determine the version of DB available rather than exclusively using the
directory I specified in the --with-dbdir= switch.  Of course, this
causes the compile to fail miserably later, since configure couldn't
really determine which version to target, so it mixes them up a bit.

Just thought the maintainer would like to know this was happening.  Most
products that allow you to specify a certain version of a library during
a configure purposely ignore all other installations of that library,
and manually set the PATH during each configure test to make sure that
only the specified version of a tool is used.  Oh well...

--
T. Gordon Marler
gmarler at gmarler.com