[STATUS] NNTP support (10/17/02)

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Thu Oct 17 18:24:40 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 01:11:50PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> FYI, the client side of nntpd is essentially complete.  It now works
> with Pine, Netscape (Mozilla), and Outlook.  The issue with Netscape and
> Outlook was that they both seem REQUIRE support for the XOVER extension
> (Netscape because of a bug and Outlook because of poor design).
>
> The only major missing functionality is support for wildmat patterns.
> Right now, only IMAP-style patterns are supported.

So, if I've been following this right, the way to work this is to use
nntpd for access to shared mailboxes (not user.*).

How does 'expire' work in this case? I'm wondering about getting rid
of old articles in the shared imap mailbox.

I'm very interested in this work since it would make for a fine
news2mail gateway setup I think.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.