Admin user as a proxy user

Earl Shannon Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 17 13:40:11 EDT 2002

Hello,

I've only found some passing references to this subject in the
list archive. What I learned from the person who posted this
question back in Febuary leaves me wondering.

Basically what I would like is for the admin user to have more
control over accounts, ie, act as if they were the user.
Can this be done with the current implementation of
cyrus? If so, how? The IMAP protocol appears to support actions
for the authenticated user, which means one must have the
password of the user to act in their stead. That is not possible
in may cases, including ours here. I see an option available
in the imapd conf file that addresses a proxy user, but how can
one do it?

A more concrete example of what I am refering to may help explain.
If a user requests a restoration we create a BACKUP folder in thier
inbox to hold the restored mail. Now, either I logon to the IMAP
server and muck with their subscription file directly in order to
subscribe them to this new folder, or tell them to subscribe to it.
The second method is not very user friendly. The first method is
kinda ugly and seems unnecessary to me. If I can create a folder
in a users account using the admin tool, why can I not subscribe them
to that folder also using the admin tool? Or can I and I just don't
know how?

Regards,
Earl Shannon
--
Systems Programmer, Computing Services, Information Technology
NC State University.