Distributed File Systems

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Sun Oct 20 17:30:34 EDT 2002

the EMC replication can be done over a DS3 link, it doesn't require
dedicated fiber.

it is however, very expensive.

Also like all disk sharing setups it has the problem that it is
replicating the raw drive without coordination with the mail software.

This means that unless you are useing a journaling filesystem you can end
up with a filesystem that isn't consistant (needs a fsck) so the failover
time needs to take this into account.

David Lang