When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 21 15:34:54 EDT 2002

On 21 Oct 2002, Erik Enge wrote:

> I cannot believe this (no-delete) is not the policy for most corporate
> users of Cyrus.  For legal and other reasons, keeping mail around is
> vital.  Configuring all the clients (Outlook, Outlook Express, Gnus,
> Mozilla, KMail and Evolution) to move stuff into Trash whenever it is
> deleted (which not all of them do by default - and some even EXPUNGE by
> default) turns into a major administration hassle.

Okay, I think you're trying to solve the problem the wrong way.  If you
need a record of every email that has ever passed through your company,
can't you just have the MTA save a record of it without inconveinencing
your users with managing their mail how they see fit?

For example, you could have *every* message to pass through your MX or
SMTP servers get posted to a shared folder (where shared == "very
restricted access"), or saved to a separate spool file entire, or written
out to a CDR device, or wherever else.

This doesn't sound like a problem that Cyrus can or even should try to
solve.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper