Outlook as an IMAP client (was: When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash)

Aidan Evans ae at is.dal.ca
Wed Oct 30 17:47:04 EST 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 at 09:00 Eric Minto wrote to James Greenhalgh and...

>I totally agree.  In fact, we're in the process of banning Outlook from
>all employee computers.  Instead, we're using IMAP (which Outlook
>doesn't work well with), with Imp as our web-based mail interface.
>James Greenhalgh wrote:
>

>>You have no problems with Outlook and POP?  Lucky man!
>>
>>I wish we could just ban Outlook from the network entirely - it's insecure,
>>about as intuitive as trying to pole vault in zero gravity, and it has a
>>hideously braindead method of POP retrieval (retr * mails_in_box, dele instead
>>of (retr,dele) * mails_in_box - leading to multiple retrieval if the
>>connection breaks).

  Interesting.  My director loves Outlook as an IMAP client, even though it
is not the officially supported client here (Eudora 5 is).  It works
wonderfully for him and he has had almost no problems.

Aidan Evans   | Networks & Systems
(902)494-3332 | University Computing & Information Services