When users delete mail, I want it to be moved to Trash.

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Mon Oct 21 16:32:42 EDT 2002

Hi Erik,

--On Monday, October 21, 2002 4:08 PM -0400 Erik Enge <eenge at prium.net>
wrote:

|> If you have to maintain workstations for a number of users, you should
|> set a client policy - ie. you should choose a client that works for
|> you.
|
| No.  This is not a client-side problem.  Cyrus has removed my control
| over my data.  I want it back.

Actually the CMU server has not removed control over the data - it
implements the data model defined by IMAP. What you want to do is add MORE
control over the data than IMAP provides. That's fine, and I agree in this
case it is a server issue not a client issue. Your best bet is to modify
the server's Expunge code so that rather than expunging messages it
actually moves them to a suitable trash mailbox. You will have to decide
whether the trash is per-user (if so you will need to make sure it does not
count against their quota) or global, with appropriate permissions. I think
this will be the least intrusive option for your users and should not cause
any client interop problems as the clients will just see a successful
expunge.

I think I heard of at least one commercial server that had an option like
that, but I can't remember which or how it handled the trash folders.

--
Cyrus Daboo