Sendmail-8.12 + cyrus 2.0.16 question/problem

Kervin L. Pierre kervin at blueprint-tech.com
Mon Oct 21 19:57:48 EDT 2002

AFAIK,

The MTA ( sendmail ) knows nothing about the mailbox, that's the MDA's
job.  Sendmail will use the MDA to figure out if there's a mailbox or
not using the deliver program requested '/bin/mail' for MAILER(local),
'deliver' for MAILER(cyrus).

I don't think the MTA has any other way of knowing if a mailbox exist
other than if the MDA reports that.

Sendmail only routes the mail.  If it figures the mail belongs on the
local box, it will pass it to the MDA, unless you say otherwise in a
map, eg. /etc/alias.

I just checked and sendmail sends me a 550 if I send mail to a user that
does not exist.  But the 550 is returned only *after* sendmail passes
the mail to cyrus for delivery and cyrus rejects it.

Try checking your imapd.log file to see what cyrus is doing

--Kervin