Sendmail + Amavisd + Cyrus 2.1.9

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Tue Oct 22 19:31:43 EDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Christopher Riordan wrote:

> I just rebuilt my main mail server to FreebSD 4.7 and uping Sendmail and
> Cyrus to the latest. I want to add amavis and possibly spamassion into the
> mix. since I'm sick of all the virus email spams I get. Has anyone set up
> Amavis mainly with the setup? Since there is no good documentation, and I'm
> not fully trusting of milter yet. if it will even work for me.

I'm running virtually the same setup right now on my server, only instead
of sendmail I'm using postfix. I wanted to use sendmail originally and I
was afraid of "change" so I stayed away from the idea of postfix. After
realizing that running the same setup with sendmail would require a
massively difficult sendmail config file, I decided to just make the jump.
It works beautifully. If you want, email me off list and I'll help you set
it up (mostly by providing my config files). Postfix is a drop in
replacement for sendmail, so I wouldn't worry to much about things like
missing /usr/bin/sendmail :-)

If you insist on sticking to sendmail you might wanna look at MailScanner.
A friend of mine is running the same setup as above except only with
MailScanner instead of AMaViS. MailScanner handles virus scanning as well
as calling spamassassin and various other things on the email. The only
reason I don't like it is because it's not instantaneous, it works by
manipulating the spools.

Good luck :-)
			-peace

--