SASL doesn't build with ldap with FreeBSD

paul dekkers bb+lists.cyrus-info at vet.fnt.hvu.nl
Wed Oct 23 16:15:46 EDT 2002

Hi,

I tried this for about some hours now, and I don't know where to look
next.
I try to build sasl2 with ldap support, so I did
./configure --with-ldap --enable-login
--with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/include/db3 --disable-gssapi
but I get:
checking for ldap_initialize in -lldap... no

The other options I tried where -with-ldap=/usr/local,
--with-ldap=/usr/local/lib, --with-ldap/usr/local/src/openldap

I also tried to modify the saslauthd/configure script, I at last put an
#define HAVE_LDAP 1
in it, but after I built sasl and completed the last gcc command with
-L/usr/local/lib (where libldap and liblber are), I still get:
# saslauthd -a ldap
saslauthd: unknown authentication mechanism: ldap

I can built
char ldap_initialize();

int main() {
ldap_initialize()
; return 0; }
myself with gcc -lldap -llber -o test test.c -L/usr/local/lib
and it works, so ldap_initialize must be there.

I run FreeBSD-RELEASE 4.7 and I also tried this on FreeBSD-STABLE 4.7

I think I tried more than I wrote yet, but it all didn't work.
I'm really curious what it should be, I assume it should work "out of
the box",

Thank you in advance,
Paul