difference between postuser and sharedprefix ?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Oct 24 15:27:23 EDT 2002

Scott Russell wrote:

> Greets.
>
> I'm for the first time playing around with shared folders under Cyrus
> IMAPd 2.1.9. I have several normal user accounts up and running fine
> with my config.
>
> In the imapd.conf I see there are two options for controlling shared
> folders. postuser and sharedprefix. I created a mailbox with cyradm (cm
> testbox) and gave it ACL anonymous p. It gets mail just fine when I
> sent to share+testbox at myhost.com
>
> This seems to work well if I set "shareprefix: share" or if I leave
> that out and set "postuser: share". So I'm confused as to what the
> differences are between the two settings when they both seem to work
> the same?

'postuser' is the one which is used for posting.  'sharedprefix' is only
used if using 'altnamespace', in which your shared folder names (as
presented to the client) would be "share.testbox"

Check out the description of 'altnamespace' in the manpage or docs if my
explanation is too cryptic.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127