difference between postuser and sharedprefix ?

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 25 11:28:38 EDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:09:17PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> Quoting Scott Russell <lnxgeek at us.ibm.com>:
> > > Check out the description of 'altnamespace' in the manpage or docs if my
> > > explanation is too cryptic.
> > >

> > No, not to cryptic, just not clear? :) I've checked the man page so
> > let me try to ask my question again.
> >
> > I have the following in my imapd.conf file:
> >
> >   configdirectory: /var/imap
> >   partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> >   altnamespace: yes
> >   userprefix: user
> >   postuser: share
> >
> > I created "testbox" using cyradm. This shows up on the partition as
> > /var/spool/imap/testbox/.
> >
> > With my imapd.conf set as pasted here, (notice no shareprefix is set)
> > mail sent to share+testbox at myhost.com does get delivered right.
> >
> > Now, given all that, I can, without changing the physical mailbox
> > "testbox" change my imapd.conf to remove the postuser line and add
> > shareprefix: user. After restarting cyrus imapd posting still works.
>
> Still using share+testbox at myhost.com ?

Correct. share+testbox at myhost.com works with _either_ shareprefix:
share or postuser: share set. I haven't bothered to try and see what
happens if I have them both set at the same time.

The MTA is postfix 1.1.7 on Red Hat 7.3. I do not have
"recipient_delimiter = +" set so postfix passes the full share+testbox
along to the LMTP socket.

Actually, that's not quite right. LMTP delivery is handled by
spamcheck.py, part of spamassassin 1.31. spamcheck.py speaks LMTP to
the cyrus LMTP socket.

> I think this is just coincidence, since sharedprefix has nothing to do with the
> delivery address.  My guess it that your MTA might be translating the address
> in some way.  What happens if you set sharedprefix to "foo", or postuser to
> "foo"?

So sharedprefix is cosmetic only for the IMAP client side?

I have postuser: share in my imapd.conf now so I'll try changing it to
foo and see where it goes. Maybe postuser: picked up a default setting
along the way that was never recorded in the man page?

And while I'm on the subject, is it wrong to create the shared mailbox
as (cm testbox) or should I have done (cm share.testbox). Keep in mind
that (cm testbox) is what I did and this seems to work (or at least
get mail)

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.