updating sasldb2 passwords from ldap

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Mon Oct 28 16:16:34 EST 2002

Hi,

Here's the scenario:
Today I got myusers in an LDAP db, and I'll soon upgrade cyrus(sasl|imapd).
Now, I'd like to be able to let usert login to imapd with Digest-md5 and other
strong passwords while still keeping the passwords in openldap.

I know that we're all waiting for "the worlds greatest auxpropplugin" that
probably will not turn up until after X-mas, so I thought I'd try to find a way
to do this before the plugin turns up. :/
(note: Please do not take this as an offence, it is not meant as one :P )

My scenario is that my users may access mail along to interfaces, either imap
or webmail. With the webmail I can encrypt the line, wereas getting my usert to
use ssl is worse. Therefore, I'm wondering if it is possible to do something
like:

the user logs on with the webmail -> sasl auths to ldap and then inserts the
digest-md5 etc pws into /etc/sasldb2.
the next time the user logs on, he/she/it logs on using an imap-client. Cyrus
now uses the sasldb2 as authmech.

Is this possible? I think I'll just need advice on the password migration part.
Setting authmethod can be done through different conffiles in cyrus.conf, right?

Tarjei

Mob: 920 63 413