imap/sasl upgrade breaks non-sasl gssapi connections

Ben Poliakoff benp at reed.edu
Tue Oct 29 13:23:41 EST 2002

Perhaps this is a known issue.  I haven't seen any mention of it though.

I just upgraded from cyrus-imap 2.0.16 to 2.1.9.  The 2.0.16
installation was all built from source, the new installation uses Simon
Matter's RPMS (rebuild on my machine).  The problem I'm seeing is that
mail clients that aren't linked with the sasl libraries are no longer
able to successfully "authenticate GSSAPI".

Some of the clients I see this behavior with are:

    mutt 1.2.5
    MacOS 10.2 Mail.app

Both were able to do GSSAPI authentication before the upgrade.  But now
both of the above can only authenticate via TLS+plain.

mutt-1.4 built with sasl can still do GSSAPI authentication without a
hitch.

Anyone have an idea about how I might figure out what's going on?

Ben

Ben Poliakoff                                       email: <benp at reed.edu>
Reed College                                          tel:  (503)-788-6674
Unix System Administrator      PGP key: http://www.reed.edu/~benp/key.html