Murder / LDAP / SASL Problem...

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 31 09:47:55 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jared Watkins wrote:

> Using imtest I was able to login as you suggested...  and sniffing the
> traffic I saw that it did an ldap lookup to verify the 'murder' proxy
> user...  but why is not doing the ldap search when the auth attempt is
> made from the frontend server?  If you see my original email... I don't
> have a problem until I try to select the inbox for the test account...
> that's when I get the error... and no ldap lookups are taking place from
> the backend system.

I don't know why there isn't a lookup from the frontend.  What mechanism
is it trying to use (since it's obviously succeeding).  I'm guessing
there's something strange about your configuration on the frontend, but
I'm really worried by the fact that it seems to be working.

> > imtest -u testuser -a slaveuser backend.your.dom

What mechanism does it decide to use?

> Also.. in your example line should that be '-a proxyuser' instead of
> slaveuser?  It was my understanding that the 'slaveuser' was only used
> in communicating with the mupdate master... and the proxy_authname user
> was used in the connection to the backend.

Yes, I'm sorry, it should have been proxyuser.  I was having trouble
keeping all of your usernames straight.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper