Murder / LDAP / SASL Problem...

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 31 10:40:28 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jared Watkins wrote:

> When I login to port 143 using telnet to the _frontend_ that system will
> do an ldap lookup and verify the password of the test user. I am able to
> list the mailboxes (since they are being provided by mupdate) but when I
> attempt to select a mailbox...  it fails.  When it fails... I can see
> the front end attempting to connect to the backend over imap.. but the
> backend system replies with 'NO Error authenticating'    I also noticed,
> while using tcpdump, that the backend system is sending this error
> message before the frontend can supply a username...

Do you have a copy of the entire log I could look at (since you've
already sent the passwords to a public list, I'm guessing you don't
really care about them any more)?

> It almost seems like the back end system does not like something about
> the greeting message from the front...

Sure, but I'll need to know what they are saying to eachother ;)

> I am using ldap for all my authentications...  or is that not what you
> mean?   For now I have not compiled any strong mechs.. so everything
> should be plain text to keep things simple for testing.

No, I thought you said that the frontend wasn't doing an ldap lookup when
a user authenticated to it, so I was confused ;)

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper