Cyrus logging informational messages with too high priority?

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Wed Oct 30 15:52:39 EST 2002

Hi.

The following error message seem to be at warn (syslog priority) or
above:

  Oct 30 14:24:57 myhost imapd[12489]: idle for too long, closing connection

Shouldn't this be only an info, or is it really a warning that something
is about to go wrong (which how I think of warnings)?

The other day, I got the following in the log:

  Oct 30 12:49:34 myhost lmtpd[12178]: DBERROR db3: 5 lockers
  Oct 30 12:49:34 myhost lmtpd[12178]: DBERROR db3: 5 lockers
  Oct 30 12:49:35 myhost lmtpd[12185]: DBERROR db3: 6 lockers
  [more like these snipped]

I did some searching in the archives and the preferred solution seems to
be to recompile cyrus with a different database (flat, for example).  Is
this still the preferred solution?

My last problem might not be related to Cyrus, but I'd still like to
mention it in case other people have experienced anything similar.  I
have PHP (4.2.3), Horde (2.1) and IMP (3.1) installed on the same
server.  IMP is an IMAP client (in our case) which allows users to check
their email over the web (we want to loose Outlook :-).

For no reason that seem apparent to me, all of a sudden users started to
have problems login into IMP.  IMP authenticates users through IMAP.
The Cyrus log files told me that the authentication went fine, so I
proceeded to look to IMP and Horde.  After restarting Apache and MySQL
(both used indirectly by IMP/Horde) and still no solution, I tried
restarting Cyrus - which actually made everything ok again.

As I said, I don't know if this is anything Cyrus is to blame for, but I
thought I'd mention it.  Any pointers of any of these issues would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik.