timsieved isn't listing any auth methods

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Nov 1 10:24:16 EST 2002

Nick Fisher wrote:

> Hi People,
>   I can't get timsieve to list it's one auth method... PLAIN and thus
> can't get sieveshell to work. This is the second set of posts I've made so
> if this seems a little familiar that's because it is ;)
> I've been working on and off on this bug for about two months now :(
>
> The problem is that timsieved isn't listing it's auth method and I don't
> know why. I'm using PLAIN as my auth method becuase I'm using pam_mysql to
> authenticate against a MySQL DB. I know that Plain is insecure but I have
> a firewall. I have tryed a number of things mostly revolving around the
> sasl2 plugins and none have helped in the least. I am intrested in ANY
> wild ideas that anyone might have about what to try next but please read
> the stuff below detailing what I have already tryed.
>
> I would also be most intrested to know if anyone managed to get PLAIN auth
> against PAM to work with timsieve...
> Or if anyone has timsieve working with *just* the PLAIN auth method.
>
> The one idea I still have is that timsieve isn't reading it's config data
> from /etc/imapd.conf. I have no clue as to how to check if this is a
> problem.... any ideas most welcome.

My guess is that you don't have PLAIN for _any_ of the services because
the plugins aren't installed where Cyrus/SASL can find them.  By
default, they should be in /usr/lib/sasl2.  This can be changed via
configure options at compile time, but you need to make sure that both
Cyrus and SASL are configured similarly.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127