Odd problem with cyrus.seen.NEW

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Nov 4 17:31:41 EST 2002

I recently moved my imap archive to a new machine, but with an identical
version of cyrus imapd (1.6.24). The old machine was a linux 2.2.19
kernel and the new one is a 2.4.19 kernel. On both machines, the archive
is on an ext2 filesystem.

The new system is finding it impossible to maintain the cyrus.seen
files. Watching the syslog, I am seeing the following log entries
whenever someone does something which tries to update cyrus.seen:

Nov  4 14:28:06 hydra imapd[25117]: IOERROR: writing : No such file or
directory
Nov  4 14:28:06 hydra imapd[25117]: open: user chodgson opened INBOX
Nov  4 14:28:06 hydra imapd[25116]: IOERROR: writing : No such file or
directory
Nov  4 14:28:31 hydra imapd[9857]: IOERROR: writing : Invalid argument

These errors are accompanies by the occasional dropped connections by
the imapd (core'ing perhaps?)
Additionally, when I look into the user directories, I see

-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            0 Nov  4 10:30 cyrus.seen
-rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            0 Nov  4 14:29 cyrus.seen.NEW

Which seems to indicate that imapd is dying an unforunate death while
trying to do temp file -> working file process.

Yes, I am running 1.6.24. To head off any "just upgrade" comments, I
would like to note that all the rename() and cyrus.seen code in the
2.1.x tree seems to be identical to the code in the 1.6.24 tree.

Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions for me to diagnose this?

Thanks,

Paul

--
       __