Cyrus Imap - Postfix - lmtp or pipe ? And why ?

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Sat Nov 9 22:11:08 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:08:58AM +0100, Bryntez wrote:

> So my question is: Why is lmtp better to use than pipe ?
> Is it speed, more stable, security or what....

It boils down to speed. Think about having to start a
/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver process for each email going from postfix to
cyrus.

Since postfix supports delivery to an lmtp socket it's much nicer to
have the cyrus lmtpd create the socket and the have postfix just
deliver mail to that socket.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.