2.0.16 segfault errors

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 11:49:40 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm running Cyrus 2.0.16, compiled from CMU source and packaged locally,
with John Wade's locking patch, on a Debian woody system. SASL version
1.5.27, also built from source and packaged locally. The machine serves
about 50 users.

I get regular SIGSEGV errors in imapd processes. In the 5 day period
from November 3, 18:12 to November 8, 14:49:-

# grep "signaled to death by 11" imapd.log.0 | wc -l
     43

All the segfaultng processes were imapd processes. More rarely, but
still regularly, I get errors that to me seem to indicate the cyrus is
corrupting its memory:-

Nov  7 10:31:38 castor imapd[17644]: IOERROR: opening quota file
/var/imap/quota/p/pÆ^P^H°æ-@^P: No such file or directory
Nov 11 15:27:21 castor imapd[6951]: IOERROR: writing
^H.^Q^H æ-@¨æ-@¨æ-@°æ-@°æ-@(Á^P^H(Á^P^HÀæ-@Àæ-@Èæ-@Èæ-@Ðæ-@Ðæ-@Øæ-@Øæ-@àæ-@àæ-@èæ-@èæ-@ðæ-@ðæ-@øæ-@øæ-@:
Bad file descriptor

These are occurring on a stable machine, and cause little visible grief
to users, as master respawns a new imapd process to replace the
segfaulting one. Nevertheless, there must be a bug somewhere.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour?

Mike.