Migrating from BSD style mailbox to Cyrus v2

marc.bigler at day.com marc.bigler at day.com
Tue Nov 12 10:38:42 EST 2002

Hello,

We are currently going to migrate from our current mail server, an OpenBSD
box running UW-IMAP and therfore having BSD style mailboxes to a Cyrus v2
mail server.

We currently tested mbxcvt and mailutil from the UW-IMAP utils to
copy/transfer all the mails to the new Cyrus mail server but the problem
that we've encoutered is that using for example:

mailutil transfer '{oldmailserver/imap}' '{newmailserver/imap}'

is that we need to enter the user's name and password. This gives us
problems because:

1) we don't know the user's password
2) we have a LOT of users to migrate

The best would be to somehow fully automate this withtout requiring
passwords and such, does someone have any experience doing that, I am sure
it is somehow possible to do that but how ? We are surely not the only ones
migrating to the great Cyrus.

It would be possible for us to copy all the users mailboxes to the new
mailserver if that helps. The user's INBOX is in /var/mail and the user's
folders are in /home/username

Regards
Marc