Migrating from BSD style mailbox to Cyrus v2

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 07:17:57 EST 2002

marc.bigler at day.com wrote:

> We currently tested mbxcvt and mailutil from the UW-IMAP utils to
> copy/transfer all the mails to the new Cyrus mail server but the problem
> that we've encoutered is that using for example:
>
> mailutil transfer '{oldmailserver/imap}' '{newmailserver/imap}'
>
> is that we need to enter the user's name and password. This gives us
> problems because:
>
> 1) we don't know the user's password
> 2) we have a LOT of users to migrate

Why don't you change your authentication method to temporarily use
sasldb. It would then be pretty easy to script adding your user list to
sasldb with a known password and then running mailutil over their mail.
Once done, just delete the sasldb, and revert to your previous
authentication method.

HTH,

Mike.