Unable to auth (saslauthd on Red Hat 7.3)

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Tue Nov 12 15:39:58 EST 2002

On 12 Nov 2002, Gerke Kok writes:

> This was what I feared all along: the cyrus-imap server looked at:
> /var/state/saslauthd/mux iso /var/run/saslauthd/mux.  Don't realy
> know why.  It might be because I had tried to install the two
> (cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd) from source first.  This must have
> messed it up.  It's a pity I could not find the setting/option that
> I would need to give to cyrus-imapd where to find the mux-socket.  I
> was looking for it, see.

It sounds as though you have solved your problem (by using RPMs for
both cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd), but just for completeness:

The socket location is a runtime option for saslauthd, you can set it
(using the Red Hat RPM version) in /etc/init.d/saslauthd or (better)
by adding a line to /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd that says something like:

SOCKET=/whatever/path/you/want/mux

Or, for debugging purposes, you can set it "by hand" using the -m
option to saslauthd directly.

The socket location used by cyrus-imapd is the one compiled into the
libsasl2.so shared library, as far as I can tell it is not directly
set or used within the imapd code at all.  So there is no option to
imapd to change it, either at run-time or at compile-time -- you'd
need to recompile the sasl libraries.

I suspect that your imapd was loading a copy of the sasl libraries
from /usr/local/lib (where you compiled things by hand earlier)
instead of the sasl libs from /usr/lib, and that was how the two
pieces got out of sync with each other?  Did you put /usr/local/lib
into the /etc/ld.so.conf file, perhaps?

> Thanks again: it works nicely!

Good :-)

Take care,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work