Cyrus IMAPd 2.1.10 Released

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 14 21:01:59 EST 2002

On 14 Nov 2002, Erik Enge wrote:

> What's wrong with plain text?

It's really hard to keep formatted in any way that looks reasoanble.

For example, say you have a bulleted list (or an ordered list, both of
which we have throughout our documentation)

You probably want it to look something like:

    * This is my first bullet
    * This is my second bullet.  It is considerably longer than the first
      and third.  In fact, it wraps a line.
    * This is my third bullet

If anything happens to the first line of the second bullet, you have to
rewrap a number of lines, and very few plaintext formatters can do this
automatically (straight word-wrapping is less of an issue).

There's also the fact that markup languages let you embed hyperlinks, etc.

I feel that moving back to only plaintext is a step backwards.  I don't
know much about SGML myself, so I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck
maintaining that, but it sounds interesting enough (and it would be nice
to have general tools for keeping the documentation formatted, instead of
worrying when htmlstrip would next break).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper