Updating /seen from concurrent sessions

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Fri Nov 15 03:54:47 EST 2002

Lawrence Greenfield wrote:

>    Try using skiplist for the seen.db
>    It doesn't really solve the problem but it masks it well enough.
>
> From my understanding, changing to skiplist really shouldn't change
> the visible behavior at all. But I've been wrong before.
>
> It would be possible to flush the seen state more often; it's just a
> question of how often and when should other imapds look for it. I've
> never actually seen this problem happen whenever I've fooled around
> with OE so I've never looked at the code to figure out what to do.

I don't use OE but I experienced the same (or similar) problem with
mozilla: since it uses many concurrent connections to the server, seen
messages came back as unseen various times, and it was very annoying.
Switching to skiplist almost solves the problem (at least it did for
me): since I switched to skiplist I had seen messages come back as
unseen only 2 or 3 times.
At the times I tried various things (see
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=14304)
but the definitive solution was to use skiplist. Maybe it's linux specific.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007