Migrating from Exchange to Cyrus!?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 10:13:49 EST 2002

> Hello folks!
>
> Is it possible to migrate from Exchange 5.5 to Cyrus?

Yes. That said, it's not necessarily entirely painless....

> We have a mailserver running with multiple domains about 500 mailboxes
> and want to use Cyrus on FreeBSD now. How i can do that, any howto or
> something?

You probably want to get the UW-IMAP server or utils package. In that,
you'll find a program called mailutil, which you can use to transfer
mail from Exchange mailboxes to Cyrus. Set Exchange up for IMAP support,
and then mailutil can simply connect to your Exchange server and suck
out the mail, then inject it into Cyrus.

If I were you, I'd set up both systems in parallel, and migrate things
domain by domain.

With this sort of thing, the most difficult part is often migrating the
"extras" - stuff like address books and mailing lists. Are your users
using Excahnge calendaring ar anything like that? If so, I'd be
interested to hear how you're replacing it.

HTH,

Mike.