lmtpd gets stuck when started under load

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Nov 14 10:29:54 EST 2002

Hi,

while testing our server setup we've found a (to me) strange behavior of
lmtpd. Here's the setup:

name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.9-Invoca-RPM-2.1.9-10 2002/08/30 18:40:23
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : Linux
os-version : 2.4.18-4SGI_XFS_1.1bigmem
environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.5
             Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)
             OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul 2001
             CMU Sieve 2.2
             TCP Wrappers
             mmap = shared
             lock = fcntl
             nonblock = fcntl
             auth = unix
             idle = poll
             dirhash = full
             mboxlist.db = skiplist
             subs.db = flat
             seen.db = skiplist
             duplicate.db = db3-nosync
             tls.db = db3-nosync
[root at lvr1 raddb]# rpm -q cyrus-sasl
cyrus-sasl-2.1.7-2

(This is the RedHat 8.0 RPM that I installed under RedHat 7.3)

First off, I'm a bit surprised that 'version' only shows the version of
SASL that IMAPD was compiled against, not the current version ... that's
just cosmetic, I guess.

Anyway, we are also running sendmail 8.12.6 with the cyrusv2 mailer. All
seems to be fine if we launch cyrus-imapd first and sendmail second.
However, if we stop cyrus-imapd for whatever reason without stopping
sendmail first, we end up in a situation where the lmtpd gets stuck upon a
restart of cyrus-imapd. To be precise, it doesn't accept connections from
sendmail and if we strace it all we see is:

accept(4,

That's it. The workaround then is to stop both sendmail and cyrus-imapd and
to wait for several minutes. After that, if we start the processes in the
right order, everything is fine again.

Is this behavior to be expected or is it a bug?

Thanks, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK