lmtpd gets stuck when started under load

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:44:27 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> First off, I'm a bit surprised that 'version' only shows the version of
> SASL that IMAPD was compiled against, not the current version ... that's
> just cosmetic, I guess.

Cyrus 2.2 does this (since it requires atleast SASL 2.1.7, and the
sasl_version symbol, which will reveal the running version, isn't
available to 2.1.4).

We didn't want to break comptability of Cyrus 2.1 with earlier SASL
versions for no good reason.

> Anyway, we are also running sendmail 8.12.6 with the cyrusv2 mailer. All
> seems to be fine if we launch cyrus-imapd first and sendmail second.
> However, if we stop cyrus-imapd for whatever reason without stopping
> sendmail first, we end up in a situation where the lmtpd gets stuck upon a
> restart of cyrus-imapd. To be precise, it doesn't accept connections from
> sendmail and if we strace it all we see is:
>
> accept(4,
>
> That's it. The workaround then is to stop both sendmail and cyrus-imapd and
> to wait for several minutes. After that, if we start the processes in the
> right order, everything is fine again.
>
> Is this behavior to be expected or is it a bug?

I'd call it a bug offhand, but there are possibly other things going on.

Do all the previous lmtpds die off before you restart cyrus?   Can you
make a connection to the new lmtpd socket manualy (if it's a unix socket,
you may want to try sock, from
ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/mj/linux/sock-*.tar.gz).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper