autocreatequota - does it really work?

Christos Soulios soulbros at noc.uoa.gr
Fri Nov 15 08:34:26 EST 2002

In my opinion features such as autocreate must not be implemented by clients,
but by the imap server. This way a lot of problems due to incompatibilities of
the various MUAs on the naming of the INBOX subfolders and the policies on the
inbox creation are avoided.

Below I attach you some patches for the autocreate function. We patched the
autocreate function in order to have some extra features. In short, the extra
features implemented in this autocreate function are :

1. Cyrus **creates** the inbox as well as other submailboxes. The user is
subscribed automatically to some or all of them. The administrator can
explicitly define in imapd.conf which submailboxes may be created and to which
the user is subscribed.

2. Create on post is also implemented. Which means, that a mailbox may also be
created when a mail arrives at the user's mailbox, while the user has not
already logged in the system. Of course, this configurable too.

3. On login the user may also be subscribed to bulleting board folders, provided
that he has been granted the priviliges to subscribe to this folder. This is
very useful with public folders (allowed to anonymous or anyone). Of course,
this is also configurable in imapd.conf.

A snippet of my imapd.conf, relative to the autocreate feature is following :

----------------     <snip>  ---------------------
#createonpost: no
#If nonzero new mailboxes will be created on if
#autocreatequota is also set.

createonpost: yes

autocreatefolders: SUB: Sent |SUB: Drafts |SUB: Trash | Templates

NOTICE : If cyrus admin ever tries to log in the system and is authorised as a
user that has never logged in before, special care is taken and the mailbox is
never created. This behaviour may also be implemented as configurable.

--
/**
 * Christos Soulios