autocreatequota - does it really work?

Voutsinas Nikos nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr
Tue Nov 19 09:13:56 EST 2002

 >I like the createonpost feature very much. It makes life easier for
 >everybody storing user accounts in LDAP or some kind of DB. No need to
 >always call cyradm somehow through webinterface or CLI after creating a
 >user in the directory.
 >
 >Is there a chance this patch makes it into the official source tree?
 >
 >Simon

I don't think so. Briefly:

a)this patch has not yet, implemented for the murder environment
[although, it has been (re)written in a way, to do so easily]

b)Fully functionality of this patch requires the accommodation of
external database, to be used for the initialization procedures
(imappartition, and/or backend server).

c)I am suspecting that there are  patches with higher priority.

d) After all how many of us are using an ldap based user pool?

However, the autocreate folders upon login and the createonpost features
will be very useful for large sites

a) that couldn't afford or wouldn't like to have a per-user mechanism to
create inboxes

b)that have suitable database for storing user's profiles (like ldap),
and would like to have, a primitive mechanism, to predefine user or
group specific, CoS [Class of Service], without actually creating their
Inboxes

c)that may need to "force" subscription at first login, to some folders
and/or
BBorads, like email-help at domain, email-introduction, cmu-announce

d)that wouldn't like to consume system resources, with thousands of
users, that never logged in.

The extended version of this patch will be available, in a month
or so. Suggestions are always welcome

Nikos Voutsinas