question about ctl_cyrusdb

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 15 00:41:54 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Liu Jinhui wrote:

>   When I restart cyrus server. I found that a process called
> ctl_cyrusdb was running for a long time . From the log, it seemed
> that it was recovering the datebase. But it is used nearly ten
> minutes to recover. Was it normal?

Depending on the size of your databases, the database type, and the time
since the last checkpoint, yes, this can be normal (and it can go for much
longer as well).

The best way to reduce this is to decrease the checkpoint interval (the
time between when ctl_cyrusdb -c runs).  I think the default from the
documentation is something like 30 minutes.  Busy sites should consider
values as short as even 5 minutes.

When this has hit us at CMU, it's most frequently been with duplicate.db,
and every now and then we just decide to nuke the db rather than wait for
it to finish (since the worst that happens is you get a duplicate
delivery to someone's mailbox).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper