Thoughts on the age-old cyradm thingie

Jay Levitt jay-cyrus at shopwatch.org
Thu Nov 21 11:37:22 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luca Olivetti" <luca at wetron.es>
To: "Jay Levitt" <jay-cyrus at shopwatch.org>
Cc: "Simon Matter" <simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com>;
<info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 3:07 AM
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the age-old cyradm thingie

> Jay Levitt wrote:
> > Interesting.  That patch just installs Shell.pm into vendor_perl instead
of
> > site_perl.  But when I ran the stock Cyrus configure on MDK 9.0, I had
no
> > problem with it running in site_perl; the problem I had was just that
> > site_perl is not actually under PREFIX, and Makefile.PL passes PREFIX
> > explicitly.  What problems did you have under 9.0?
>
> site_perl isn't used by default in mdk 9.0 (or perl 5.8.0, look at the
> changelog for perl-base, search vendor_perl), so it would generate bogus
> dependencies when creating the rpm (files under site_perl would depend
> on perl-base >= 5.800 --which doesn't exist, rendering the resulting rpm
> impossible to install-- while files under vendor_perl depend on
> perl-base >= 2:5.8.0).

OIC (sorta).. so it's an RPM problem more than a perl problem.  That
explains why it worked for me when I just built from source - it seems that
site_perl actually IS part of @INC, but it sounds like you're saying rpm
doesn't think so.  I haven't learned much about rpms yet, but I'll take your
word...

> > Conversely, it doesn't seem like your RPM changes PREFIX, so do you know
> in the build part the %configure macro will automatically call configure
> --prefix=/usr (and other standard parameters) while in the install part
> make install is called with PREFIX=/current/build/root

Ah, ok.. I was just looking at the spec file, didn't realize rpm added its
own configure parameters.  I looked at rpm --showrc, I get it now.  I
actually wonder if, since this isn't a Mandrake-supplied RPM, it wouldn't be
better to install to /usr/local instead of /usr, but it's not a big deal.
Of course, that'd require fixing the perl problem in the first place :)

> BTW: my message won't reach you directly since your ISP, in a misguided
> attempt to block spam, will bounce my messages.

Yeah, apparently a hacker tried to get in via an OpenSSL vulnerability that
Sun didn't patch, and while he wasn't completely successful, he screwed up
their portsentry, which was then blocking stuff that oughtn't be blocked.  I
don't follow what happened exactly, but it just makes me that much more
anxious to get this up and running so I can run my own mail server.  Should
be fixed now, though.

Jay