OT LVM Snapshot for backups (was: Best way to backup cyrus syste)

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Thu Nov 21 12:47:08 EST 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 11:28:33AM -0500, Brian wrote:

> Christian Schulte said:
>
> > I have had many many troubles with the linux LVM itself. I would rather
> > suggest using a well configured linux softare raid. This is much more
> > stable than LVM! I lost 250GB because of LVM and did not have a backup.
> > With software raid on linux this would not have happened....
>
> So the problem was that you didn't have backups rather than a fault of the
> LVM, right?

<rant>
No. The problem described is LVM caused a loss of data. Then a secondary
issue was exposed that data recovery was not possible because no
backups were made prior to the data loss.

Just because you have a backup doesn't mean you don't loose data. It
just means you have the possibility of recovering previously lost data.
</rant>

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.