OT LVM Snapshot for backups (was: Best way to backup cyrus syste)

Brian brianb at sboss.com
Thu Nov 21 13:06:33 EST 2002

Scott Russell said:

>> Christian Schulte said:
>>
>> I have had many many troubles with the linux LVM itself. I lost 250GB
>> because of LVM and did not have a backup.
>>
>> So the problem was that you didn't have backups rather than a fault of
>> the LVM, right?
>
> No. The problem described is LVM caused a loss of data.

Interesting.  I'd be interested to know how the LVM caused data loss.
I've been thinking of implementing the Linux LVM solution for the Cyrus
implementation I admin and would like to hear about the pitfalls and the
peril from folks who've been burned by it.  I don't have the deep pockets
for a NetApp, but a hardware RAID solution in conjunction with the Linux
LVM sounded promising.  Of course, if I did put together such a solution,
I'd backup the snapshots ...

> Just because you have a backup doesn't mean you don't [sic] loose data.
> It just means you have the possibility of recovering previously lost data.

True just as relying on one aspect of disaster recovery puts one in the
fecal stream without a means of propulsion ;-)  That's a situation I'm
currently in that I would like to plan a way out.  Every one will
experience hardware failure at some point, so best to plan a solution
before it happens.

--
Brian