Skiplist / best practice for 2.1 branch

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Mon Nov 18 19:00:10 EST 2002

On 18 Nov 2002, Jules Agee writes:

> Jonathan Marsden wrote:

>> Are you recommending that RH 8.0 users running Cyrus should
>> downgrade their BDB libraries to a 3.x RPM set ...

> I think a lot of people would recommend you stay away from RH 8.0
> for production servers. Not that I know of any particular
> problems... it's just that there's a lot of bleeding-edge stuff that
> hasn't proved itself as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough as a personal choice. However, do bear in mind that Red
Hat 8.0 will not go away -- and in a few months there will be 8.1.
Red Hat 8.x is here and is a reality that must be faced.  If
application software doesn't work well with a popular Linux
distribution, IMO the appropriate response is "Let's find out why, and
work to get the problems fixed, either in that distribution or in our
software".  A response of "Let's just not use or recommend that
distribution" is not likely to be a useful long-term approach if you
want the application to be widely used :-)

FYI, I don't actually have Red Hat 8.0 on any production servers here
yet.  I do have Cyrus 2.2 from CVS running against db-4.0.14
though... on Red Hat 7.3.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work