Timsieved valid commands

Su Li sli at rim.net
Tue Nov 19 21:20:57 EST 2002

Thanks a lot Mark and Ken,

I am writing a C++ client to log into Sieve 2000 port. Can you send me the C++/C code for base64 encode? So what I need to do to login to Sieve should be like:

C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {21+}
C: <base64 encoded authname and username>
S: password?
C: <base64 encode password>
S: OK loged in

Is that right?

I really appreciate if you can help me out here.

Thanks,

Su

The PLAIN authentication method seems to be defined in rfc2595.txt.

The example given for ACAP in the rfc is:
               C: a003 AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {21+}
               C: <NUL>tim<NUL>tanstaaftanstaaf
               S: a003 OK CRAM-MD5 password initialized

>From this it appears that you can't use PLAIN via telnet because you can't
enter a <NUL> character (at least I don't know how it would be done).

I've been able to telnet to the timsieved by enabling the LOGIN authentication
mechanism.  However you'll have to be able to convert username and password to
base64 inorder to use it.

I do have C++ source for a b64echo which I can post if anyone wants it.

Sieve commands are defined in:
   cyrus-imapd-x.y.z/doc/sieve-protocol.html

Regards,
Mark Keasling <mark at air.co.jp>