Timsieved valid commands

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Nov 20 08:35:21 EST 2002

Mark Keasling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:20:57 -0500, Su Li <sli at rim.net> wrote...
> > Thanks a lot Mark and Ken,
> >
> > I am writing a C++ client to log into Sieve 2000 port. Can you send me the C++/C code for base64 encode? So what I need to do to login to Sieve should be like:
> >
> > C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {21+}
> > C: <base64 encoded authname and username>
> > S: password?
> > C: <base64 encode password>
> > S: OK loged in
> >
> > Is that right?
> >
> No.  PLAIN works differently than LOGIN.  PLAIN does not use base64 encoding.

Yes it does.  Strictly speaking, the mechansim doesn't decide how the
challenges/responses will be encoded, this is done by the application
protocol.

If you wanted to test PLAIN via telnet, you can do what I do.  In a
shell, do:

printf  "\0username\0password" | mimencode

This will give you the correct PLAIN response which you can paste into
your telnet session.

Of, course, the best thing to use is sivtest, as Rob suggests.  The same
can be said for testing _any_ of the protocols used by Cyrus.  There is
an apptly named test tool for all of them (actually, they are just links
to imtest).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127