How to make cyrus not change non US-ASCII characters to "X"

Sergey Mukhin info-cyrus at sm.msk.ru
Wed Nov 20 11:54:50 EST 2002

A> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:30:31 -0200
A> To: info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>

A> Hi,

A> I'd like to know if there is a way to avoid this cyrus behavior, my
A> users are getting very angry with it.

A> Thanks for any help,

Yes, users do. And notice about strict 7-bit ASCII within headers
does not help.

Same problem using Cyrillic. I have not found anything else and
used a simple hack.
Locate the following 2 files in the source tree: lmtpengine.c and message.c

change them the following way ( by inserting `#if 0' and `#endif' ) and
re-compile the entire software.

This eliminates the substitution unconditionally.

lmtpengine.c:

                /* ignore this whitespace, but we'll copy all the rest in */
                break;
            } else {

// HACK -- Violet
#if 0
                if (c >= 0x80) {
                    if (reject8bit) {
                        /* We have been configured to reject all mail of this
                           form. */
                        r = IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINS8BIT;
                        goto ph_error;
                    } else {
                        /* We have been configured to munge all mail of this
                           form. */
                        c = 'X';
                    }
                }
#endif
                /* just an ordinary character */
                body[off++] = c;

and message.c:

            else {
                sawcr = 0;
                blankline = 0;
// HACK -- Violet
#if 0
                if (inheader && *p >= 0x80) {
                    if (reject8bit) {
                        /* We have been configured to reject all mail of this
                           form. */
                        if (!r) r = IMAP_MESSAGE_CONTAINS8BIT;
                    } else {
                        /* We have been configured to munge all mail of this
                           form. */
                        *p = 'X';
                    }
                }
#endif
            }
        }

        fwrite(buf, 1, n, to);
    }

A> Alessandro Oliveira
A> Nuno Ferreira Cargas Internacionais Ltda.
A> Phone: +55-11-3241-2000
A> Fax  : +55-11-3242-9891

A> It's trivial to make fun of Microsoft products, but it takes a real
A> man to make them work, and a god to make them do anything useful.

    Sergey Mukhin                       |
    Head of Internet department         |    http://sm.msk.ru/
    WestCall LTD, Moscow, Russia        |    SM45-RIPE