Problems with some MIME messages (cyrus-imapd-2.1.9)

Leena Heino Leena.Heino at uta.fi
Fri Nov 29 13:59:23 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Ralf Haferkamp wrote:

> cyrus-imapd fails to correctly seperate the different parts of mail under
> certain circumstances. This e.g. the case if one MIME part of the mail
> contains a multipart/alternative part, that has a boundary which contains
> the boundary of the enclousing MIME part as a substring. I guess I better
> give an example here: ;)

Cyrus IMAP version: 2.1.9

I did some testing with different Eudora versions:
- Eudora versions up to and including 5.1 send mail with these erraneous
nested MIME boundaries. (Tested version 4.3.2, 5.0.2 and 5.1)
- Eudora versions 5.1.1 and later seems to fix this MIME boudaries issue.
(Tested version 5.1.1 and 5.2)

This situation can be quite easily tested just by sending mail with
Eudora. The mail has to have two MIME parts, one attachment and the other
is multipart/alternative (eg. text and html versions of the mail).

--
  -- Leena Heino (liinu at uta.fi)