imapd 2.1.10 + sasl 2.1.9 authentication failure (auxprop)

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:37:29 EST 2002

>From: Joshua Szmajda <josh at loki.ws>
>
>Hey all,
>	I'd really like to use cyrus imapd as my imap server. I've got a mid to
>large-scale webmail deployment coming up and cyrus's internal user database
>seems to be right up my alley. I'm having some trouble though, and I
>haven't been able to find the answer in the list-archive.
>
>I am trying to use auxprop as my pwcheck_method, and I'm getting the error
>"user not found". I've tried everything I could find:
>
>I've built the packages with the following configure options:
>
>SASL
>CC=gcc ./configure --enable-gssapi=no
>--with-bdb-libdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib
>--with-bdb-incdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include --enable-login
>
>IMAPD
>CC=gcc ./configure --with-dbdir=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 --with-auth=unix
>
>my /etc/imapd.conf is:
>
>configdirectory: /var/imap
>partition-default: /var/spool/imap
>admins: cyrus
>sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
>sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>allowplaintext: yes
>
>I'm running this on a Solaris 8 machine (all the latest patches applied)
>
>/usr/local/sbin/sasldblistusers2 shows users:
>cyrus at sun-sol-ba02: userPassword
>root at sun-sol-ba02: userPassword
>
>I've got the symlink from /usr/local/lib/sasl2 to /usr/lib/sasl2:
># ls -l /usr/lib/sasl2
>lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         20 Nov 22 11:05 /usr/lib/sasl2 ->
>/usr/local/lib/sasl2/
>
>imtest does this:
># imtest -m login -a cyrus localhost
>S: * OK sun-sol-ba02.betterway.net Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.10 server ready
>C: C01 CAPABILITY
>S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
>NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
>THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE
>S: C01 OK Completed
>Please enter your password:
>C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {8}
>S: + go ahead
>C: <omitted>
>S: L01 NO Login failed: user not found
>Authentication failed. generic failure
>Security strength factor: 0
>. logout
>* BYE LOGOUT received
>. OK Completed
>Connection closed.
>
>and /var/log/imapd.log has:
>Nov 22 11:34:32 sun-sol-ba02 imapd[17101]: [ID 914338 local6.notice]
>badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1] plaintext cyrus SASL(-13): user not found:
>checkpass failed
>
>sasldb2:
># ls -l /etc/sasldb2
>-rw-r-----   1 cyrus    other      24576 Nov 22 10:56 /etc/sasldb2
>
>Anyway, I'm completely stumped now. I've seen in the archives that people
>have had this problem, but they've always had something wrong with their
>imapd.conf or permissions on /etc/sasldb2 or that lib dir symlink..

Ok, I'm running with exactly the same versions as you, including Berkeley DB
4.1(.24).  However I had to explicitly disable Kerberos when building SASL.

Having done that and stopped SASL failing in interesting ways I then created
the user's mailboxes.  I seem to remember that a sasldblistusers2 lists
users with more than just userPassword, but has a second line with something
else.  Trouble is I can't remember what.

Sadly the system I've built this on is at work and not planning on being
back there until Monday :-)  If you've not solved it by then repost to
remind me and I'll dig out the options I used to configure SASL and IMAP.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?