RPM Upgrade Nightmare

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Sat Nov 23 09:53:27 EST 2002

> Boy, what a nightmare this turned out to be.
Yep. It aint easy :)

> I've been running the cyrus-imapd-2.0.16 rpms developed by Ramiro which
> can be found here:
> http://rmorales.modwest.com/rpms/cyrus-imapd/
>
> and I figured it was time to upgrade to the 2.1.* series, so I got the
> source rpm cyrus-imapd-2.1.10-3.src.rpm developed by Simon Matter from here:
> http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

At this point, how much did you bother to read the docs and check that things were ready? I just did a similar upgrade, and I tried reading the docs, but still. There were a lot of hassles. Here's my tips:
a) Maybe use RH's postfix rpms to start with? I think they got sasl support, and that seems to be your only requirement.b) Install and move your user db before you start with Cyrus.
c) Simon, would you mind pointing this out on your fine webpage?
> The RPMS have a difference in where they store the config directories:
> 2.0.16 keeps it's configs in /var/imap
> 2.1.10-3 keeps it's configs in /var/lib/imap
d) This as well:
> And how directory structure the mails box are located:
> 2.0.16 keeps the files under /var/spool/imap/user
> 2.1.10-3 keeps files under /var/spool/imap/a-z
I belive that what you need to do is to use the rehash script found in /usr/libexec/cyrus I ran that a cuple of times (if someone might supply Chris with the correct way to rehash that would be nice.)

> In the end, I couldn't get the new cyrus rpms to find my mail boxes.
This is probably related to the /var/imap vs /var/lib/imap tingy. I also had a BIG hassle with getting my different indexfiles in /var/lib/imap to work.

I suggest you set of some time to work on that. Remember to set logging to full when you start so you know where to look. Also read through the man pages for the ctl_* commands found in /usr/libexec/cyrus.

I solved my problems with the indexes by setting all to skiplist and recompiling, but that was on RH8.0. I'm not sure, but I think you need to recompile Cyrus if you change the db type, so be prepared for some simple .spec file hacking.

e)
I do not think you need db4 for 2.1. when you use 7.3 - db3 is ok.

I hope this might help you,
Tarjei