RPM Upgrade Nightmare

Chris Dos chris at chrisdos.com
Tue Nov 26 15:43:09 EST 2002

Ramiro Morales wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2002 at 16:18, Chris Dos wrote about "Re: RPM Upgrade Nightmare":
>

>>Do you have any ideas on what would be a good way to move the mail
>>directories from /var/spool/imap/user to /var/spool/imap/a-z and then
>>have Cyrus pick them up and run with them.  Or perhaps, there might be a
>>
>>   way to convert the data that is in /var/imap so it works correctly in
>>
>>/var/lib/imap?
>

> The paths used on my packages were inherited from the packages
> by RH as they were based on them and meant to server as an upgrade
> path.

I originally migrated from the RedHat packages that came with 7.1
powertools to your packages.  I never had any problems with your RPMS
and they've worked great and have been extreamly stable.

>>I have about eight installations that use 2.0.16 and I'd like to be able
>>to come up with a smooth upgrade to I can get them to the 2.1.x series
>>and then just use your rpms instead of Ramiro's which haven't been
>>upgraded in some time.
>

> That's true, but I don't plan to update the package to the 2.[12].x
> series anytime soon. My IMAP server upgrade schedule is unclear
> yet :-/
>
> Perhaps I will update the package to a newer release to get in
> some small fixes I had been taking note of, but always
> in the 2.0.16 upstream version.

I'd like that.  As I have a couple of installations that have thousands
of mail boxes.  I'd like to at least keep them current with patches and
such.  And when you come up with an RPM to the 2.1.x series, I'll be
able to move them as well.

	Chris