file-system problems after update from 2.0.16 to 2.1.9

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Nov 25 19:02:22 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 04:52:11PM +0100, Alexander Czernay wrote:
> I just upgraded my Cyrus-IMAP from 2.0.16 to 2.1.9. At ./configure I
> added --enable-fulldirhash and also compiled Berkeley4.1.24 in.
>
> It all worked well, but now I get some strange errors in the logs:
>
> IOERROR: opening /var/imap/user/c/czernay.seen: No such file or directory
> DBERROR: opening /var/imap/user/c/czernay.seen: cyrusdb error
> Could not open seen state for czernay (System I/O error)

That suggests that `--enable-fulldirhash' didn't work.  Does it show
up in config.status?  Does `USE_DIR_FULL 1' show up in config.h?
Or, perhaps some of the old commands are running?

> Investigating the file-sytem I found that only directories with capital
> letters exist under the /var/imap/user tree. But these are all empty!

Those are correct for full directory hashing.  The `rehash' script
should have moved your existing mailboxes to the correct directories,
if it was able to find them.  Perhaps you changed the location?