file-system problems after update from 2.0.16 to 2.1.9

Alexander Czernay listen at czernay.com
Tue Nov 26 04:53:25 EST 2002

Gary Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 04:52:11PM +0100, Alexander Czernay wrote:
>
>>I just upgraded my Cyrus-IMAP from 2.0.16 to 2.1.9. At ./configure I
>>added --enable-fulldirhash and also compiled Berkeley4.1.24 in.
>>
>>It all worked well, but now I get some strange errors in the logs:
>>
>>IOERROR: opening /var/imap/user/c/czernay.seen: No such file or directory
>>DBERROR: opening /var/imap/user/c/czernay.seen: cyrusdb error
>>Could not open seen state for czernay (System I/O error)
>

> That suggests that `--enable-fulldirhash' didn't work.  Does it show
> up in config.status?  Does `USE_DIR_FULL 1' show up in config.h?
> Or, perhaps some of the old commands are running?
>

>>Investigating the file-sytem I found that only directories with capital
>>letters exist under the /var/imap/user tree. But these are all empty!
>

> Those are correct for full directory hashing.  The `rehash' script
> should have moved your existing mailboxes to the correct directories,
> if it was able to find them.  Perhaps you changed the location?

In config.status I found my complete command-line for configure,
including --enable-fulldirhash.

In config.h I found USE_DIR_FULL=1, but commented out. But also
USE_SIEVE=1 is commented out and sieve is actually running, so I expect
it to be a default value.

I manually renamed all the directories under /var/imap/user. By doing
that I found that the mailbox files were stored under the wrong letters'
directories (czernay.send under D). I also moved those files to the
right directories and it seems to work now.

But there still must be some errors left, because now I can't access two
  sub-mailboxes of my main account (IMAPD: Invalid Mailbox format). Also
if I try to execute tools/rehash full, I get "converting configuration
directory /var/imap...user couldn't remove l at (eval 1) line 311." -
that I completly don't understand.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Alexander