Problem rebuilding Simons new source RPM

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Mon Nov 25 13:14:36 EST 2002

On 25 Nov 2002, Simon Matter writes:

> Harris Landgarten schrieb:

>> For some reason perl man pages are being installed to /usr/man
>> instead of /usr/shared/man

In older (5.x and 6.x) Red Hat distributions, /usr/man was the default
man page location.  I strongly suspect that the %{_mandir} RPM macro
is being set to /usr/man on those machines, and to /usr/share/man
(note: not /usr/shared/man, presumably the extra 'd' was a typo?) on
newer distributions.

On my RH 7.3 machines %_mandir is set in /usr/lib/rpm/macros to
/usr/man (somewhat surprisingly), but this is overridden by setting it
to /usr/share/man in the architecture-specific files:

    /usr/lib/rpm/athlon-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/athlon-redhat-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i386-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i386-redhat-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i486-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i486-redhat-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i586-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i586-redhat-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i686-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/i686-redhat-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/noarch-linux/macros
    /usr/lib/rpm/noarch-redhat-linux/macros

>> This causes the find /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.1.10-root/usr/share/man
>> -type f -name "Cyrus*" to find nothing and the following string of
>> commands to fail with an error.

If I am correct, then it might be wise to use the %{_mandir} macro
within that find command, and anywhere else in the .spec file that the
man directory is referenced.  Then man pages should be searched for in
the correct place on all distributions, based on that configurable
setting.

>> Do you have any idea what could be causing this?

I don't know what would change it in Red Hat 8.0 -- unless a user
copied some .rpmmacros files or /usr/lib/rpm/* or /etc/rpm/* from an
older machine, maybe??  Either that, or the machine in use does not
think of itself as being an x86 machine at all, so none of the
architecture-specific macro files are being used??

As a quick check, for Harris it could be worth trying

  echo "%_mandir /usr/share/man" >>~/.rpmmacros

and then rebuilding Simon's SRPM.  If that "fixes" the problem, then
the issue is indeed the %mandir setting, and the cause of the /usr/man
value should be tracked back through the various places in RPM config
files where it might be being set.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work