Pros and cons using IDLED?

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Mon Nov 25 04:52:20 EST 2002

I have enabled compilation of idled in my newest RPM but am wondering
whether that was a good idea. I have two questions:

1) I was searching the archives and docs but still can't find a
description of the advantages and drawbacks when using idled instead of
poll. What are the drawback of possible problems I may face when using
idled?

2) I have read the man pages but still don't fully understand how things
work.
>From the man page:
=====
imapidlepoll: 60
  The  interval  (in  seconds) for polling the mailbox for changes while
running the IDLE command.  This option is
  used when idled can not be contacted or when polling is used
exclusively.  The minimum value is 1.  A value of 0
  will disable polling (and disable IDLE if polling is the only method
available).
=====

60 is the default value for imapidlepoll. It means that unless specified
otherwise, IDLE is always enabled, using polling or idled. Only setting
it to 0 does in fact disable IDLE. The man pages also say that if idled
can not be contacted, poll is used instead.
My problem is now that I have compiled with idled but not enabled it in
cyrus.conf. I then get following messages:
/var/log/messages:Nov 22 22:26:56 xxl imapd[2594]: error sending to
idled: 2
Is this message only a warning message or does it mean I really have to
start idled if it's compiled in?

Simon