PAm authentication method no longer supported?

Stefan Suurmeijer stefan at raptorweb.nl
Mon Nov 25 18:37:51 EST 2002

Hi list,

sorry if this was dealt with earlier, didn't see it in the archives.

I just installed Cyrus 2.1.9 on a new box. However, when I wanted to
copy my old config (cyrus 2.0.16, running on another box), I ran into a
snag.

I was using

sasl_pwcheck_method: pam

but when I try to authorize now, I get authentication errors
(imapd[3070]: unknown password verifier). When I checked the imapd.conf
manpages, I saw that the PAM method was no longer listed under the
supported mechanisms. I was able to get it working with the sasldb2, but
I'd like to keep working with PAM, as it's nicely flexible. Was support
for the PAM method removed (something to do with the new sasl version
perhaps)? If so, is there another way to get PAM working again?

Relevant data:
old machine (linux, 2.4.19)
cyrus-imapd-2.0.16
cyrus-sasl-1.5.27
sasl_pwcheck_method: pam (working)

new machine (linux, 2.4.19)
cyrus-imapd-2.1.9
cyrus-sasl2-2.1.7
sasl_pwcheck_method: pam (not working)
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop (working with sasldb2)

TIA

Stefan