Newbie help: Domain names as part of user names/mailboxes/etc?

Jeremy Rumpf jrumpf at heavyload.net
Tue Nov 26 21:28:17 EST 2002

> But imapd, by default, uses dots as separators.  So I can't just do:
>
>  createmailbox jay at jay.fm
>
> because that ends up looking like mailbox jay at jay with sub-mailbox fm.  And
> I can't just:
>
>  createmailbox jay
>
> because I must authenticate as "jay at jay.fm" and not just "jay".
>
> I realize that I could use unixhierarchysep, and I probably will end up
> doing so anyway, but I suspect that there is a simpler answer I'm not
> seeing.  I've tried setting

unixhierarchysep is your answer for the mailbox question. Enable that and then
do:

createmailbox user/jay at jay.fm

As far as sasl, it usually sets the default realm to the hostname of the
machine it's running on. So jay at jay.fm probably get's authenticated as
jay at jay.fm@linux.home.jay.fm

So when you create the user in sasldb:

saslpasswd2 -c jay at jay.fm

and it will fill in the realm with @linux.home.jay.fm. If cyrus is running on
the same machine, it should default the realm to be @linux.home.jay.fm as
well.

sasldblistusers2 should give you something like:

jay at jay.fm@linux.home.jay.fm: userPassword
jay at jay.fm: cmusaslsecretOTP

HTH,

Jeremy