Excessive recursion error with plussed addresses

William K. Hardeman wont-i at wkh.org
Tue Nov 26 18:00:13 EST 2002

Howdy all,

I've run into a problem where I can't get addresses with plussed parts to
deliver. I'm getting an "excessive recursion" error in ruleset 3 (canonify)
in my sendmail. Sendmail version is 8.12.6.

I'm using the virtusertable feature to support several domains, and the
error only occurs when I use either
*+ at wkh.org	%1+%2 at wkh.org
*+ at wkh.org	%1%3 at wkh.org

If I remove those lines, emails are delivered without a recursion error,
but only to the user's INBOX. I don't have any related aliases set in my
aliases file for the addresses I've been testing, and there are no other
lines in my virtusertable relating to @wkh.org for the address I've been
testing.

I've also verified that my DNS tables are correct. All of my MX records
point at A records.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could try looking at next? I'm
completely stumped.

Thanks,
Will

William K. Hardeman
wont-i at wkh.org
http://www.wkh.org

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then
do it.
--Robert A. Heinlein